Friday, August 29, 2008

Into a new world

Change is inevitable. Change is the law of nature. Last few months saw a lot of change. For starters, the rule of king in Nepal gave way to democracy and first time in the history of Nepal, a maoist president claimed office. The left wing broke out of UPA in India and the CPI[M] expelled one of it's high ranking member, Somnath Chatterjee.

Aside from political changes, the technology saw an uprising over the Apple i-phone 3-G which started the paradigm shift from operators controlling handsets to vice versa. everything is changing. Isn't it?

I decided to change myself. Transform my life. Transform it once and for all. I decided finally to switch to linux.As with any average pc user, i lived on MS windows. I've had used linux before, but never really felt i'd want to use it on my personal pc. But things do cahnge, don't they?

After coming to GECT, which has a computer science department which is an active supporter of free software and the linux community, i was greatly drawn to linux. But that was only because of the curiosity to find what is so hyping about linux.

In the mean time i had installed ubuntu(which was the only one i had) just for horror(courtesy: njekku) a couple of times and uninstalled later, because it couldnt support most of my hardware(though i din't really know untill recently, i was using ubuntu 5. something version).

Things really got moving after RMS came to UC college, aluva. A friend of mine wrote a post about their meeting rms and on the ideals of free software, and we had a heated debate over some ideals which prompted guidance from many experienced free software activists including pramod sir and vivekettan.

After much thought i decided to give linux a real chance and asked my ex-roommate bristow for a dvd. As u can guess, he couldn't give me one. Time passed. Seasons changed. May be by the stroke of fate, i stumbled across ubuntu's free shipping programme.

The rest, you can imagine. I logged in, I registered, and I received. A cd containing the lastest UBUNTU 8.04.1 LTS Desktop Edition. along with four stickers proclaiming "ubuntu, linux for human beings".
I was really happy to see the disk packed in kinda good package from Netherlands. And thanks to bristow and dasappan who inspired me to take this drastic step (he he). And last but not the least, to all of ma cs friends, leading by example, refusing to even install windows as a secondary boot in their systems(i lie pretty.. don't i?).

Will share my experiences with linux later. Any ways, linux, here i caom...(rollz..:D)

1 comment:

DD said...

thanks for the pullings of legs aliya........
adn warm wishes and good luck for having shown the guts to get into the world of linux single handedly...